2019 'Burgundy hits the bull's eye' – James Suckling
Burgundy's 2019 vintage is a classic! Described as 'outstanding', 'exceptional' and 'incomparable' by vignerons and critics alike. The warm days and notably cooler evenings resulted in a beautiful balance of richness and energy, offering depth and concentration without any heaviness. 'It is remarkable, almost irrational, how the finest 2019s maintain detail, clarity and tension… and have the balance and substance to repay cellaring,' writes Neal Martin.
For both Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, it is a 'superb vintage' says Wine Advocate's William Kelley, adding, 'these are wines that all Burgundy lovers are going to want to secure for their cellars.' Check out some of our highlights below or view our full Burgundy selection.
Joseph Drouhin's 2019s are 'worth seeking out' writes Allen Meadows, and the Wine Advocate agrees, stating, 'the 2019 vintage has turned out beautifully at this address.' Willian Kelley feels that the reds 'stole the show', calling the lovely 2019 Côte de Beaune-Villages (R440) 'a sleeper of the vintage'. Don't miss their perennial favourite whites either, namely the 2019 Mâcon-Bussières Les Clos at only R275 and the 2019 Rully Blanc at R375.
Of Olivier Leflaive's 2018s and 2019s, James Suckling writes, 'this is exactly what we expect from Bourgogne blanc!' Leflaive's 2019 Bourgogne Blanc Les Sétilles is a showstopper for only R425. Zesty, intense and mineral, it is Puligny-esque.
'The 2019 vintage is a great success [for Henri Boillot], achieving both impressive quality and consistency, these wines come warmly recommended,' writes William Kelley. Decanter tipped their hat to the 2019 Bourgogne Chardonnay as part of the 'top value 2019 Burgundies to buy' and the 2019 Montrachet Grand Cru amassed a whopping 97 points from Allen Meadows. '[2019 is] a thrilling year for Pinot Noir,' writes William Kelley, so don't miss out on the last few cases of their 2019 Bourgogne Pinot Noir.
Marc Morey's whites underscore the quality of the 2019 vintage. Allen Meadows calls their village 2019 Chassagne-Montrachet 'excellent and outstanding top value', noting a 'sneaky long finish' with serious cellaring potential.
The generous crop of 2018 was followed by three smaller vintages, with 2021 expected to be the smallest yield in decades. Fill your Burgundy boots whilst you still can! Because of a stronger Rand, we are happy to offer the new releases at lower prices than the previous vintages – a Burgundy bargain.
- Henri Boillot Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières 2019 France, BurgundyR2,480(3 In Stock)
- Henri Boillot Meursault 1er Cru Richemont Monopole 2019 France, BurgundyR2,000(3 In Stock)
- Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières 2019 France, BurgundyR2,480(8 In Stock)
- Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes 2019 France, BurgundyR2,480(3 In Stock)
- Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles 2019 France, BurgundyR2,480(2 In Stock)
- Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos De La Mouchère 2019 France, BurgundyR2,480(1 In Stock)
- Marc Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets 2019 France, BurgundyR1,495(3 In Stock)
- Marc Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru En Virondot 2019 France, BurgundyR1,450(5 In Stock)
- Joseph Drouhin Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Pucelles 2019 France, BurgundyR2,450(1 In Stock)
- Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches Rouge 1er Cru 2019 France, BurgundyR1,700(1 In Stock)
- Large formatHéritiers du Comte Lafon Mâcon Clos de la Crochette 2019 (1500ml) France, BurgundyR1,025(2 In Stock)