+27 21 448 4105
Back to previous page
Faithful Hound White

Mulderbosch, Faithful Hound White 2015

R160

6 in stock

Notes

"Blend: 57% Semillon; 43% Sauvignon Blanc Ageing: 15 months in 30% new French, 70% neutral oak Maturation: up to 10 years from date of vintage One of the great marriages in wine must surely be that of Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc. At their best, wines made from these two grapes offer a thrilling example of texture and aromatics, structure and finesse. After coming across a vineyard of magnificent quality Semillon in Franschhoek, we decided to work on a blended white variant to the Faithful Hound, choosing Sauvignon Blanc from Elgin as the partner variety. Both parcels of fruit were gently destemmed and crushed, then pressed to roughly 500L/ton in order to recover only the finest juice fraction for the blend. Great quality Semillon has an ability to handle new oak like few other varieties, so this component of the blend was fermented in 30% new French oak 500L barrels, the remaining 70% in neutral 500L barrels. In order to retain as much of the aromatic intensity of the Sauvignon Blanc component, we opted to ferment all of it in neutral 500L barrels. Neither of the two components were allowed to undergo malolactic fermentation in an effort to preserve the natural acidity and freshness of each vineyard. After a period of 15 months in barrel, the wine was blended and prepared for bottling." - Mulderbosch Tasting notes:
'Semillon dominated, with 38% Sauvignon Blanc, this is the best release yet of the Faithful Hound white. Given that the former grape comes from the exceptional La Colline vineyard, it’s no surprise that this is so good: toasty, lemongrass and vanilla spice notes with pink grapefruit-like flavours. 2017-22'. – Tim Atkin MW, SA Special Report 2017, 94/100

"Blend: 57% Semillon; 43% Sauvignon Blanc Ageing: 15 months in 30% new French, 70% neutral oak Maturation: up to 10 years from date of vintage One of the great marriages in wine must surely be that of Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc. At their best, wines made from these two grapes offer a thrilling example of texture and aromatics, structure and finesse. After coming across a vineyard of magnificent quality Semillon in Franschhoek, we decided to work on a blended white variant to the Faithful Hound, choosing Sauvignon Blanc from Elgin as the partner variety. Both parcels of fruit were gently destemmed and crushed, then pressed to roughly 500L/ton in order to recover only the finest juice fraction for the blend. Great quality Semillon has an ability to handle new oak like few other varieties, so this component of the blend was fermented in 30% new French oak 500L barrels, the remaining 70% in neutral 500L barrels. In order to retain as much of the aromatic intensity of the Sauvignon Blanc component, we opted to ferment all of it in neutral 500L barrels. Neither of the two components were allowed to undergo malolactic fermentation in an effort to preserve the natural acidity and freshness of each vineyard. After a period of 15 months in barrel, the wine was blended and prepared for bottling." - Mulderbosch Tasting notes:
'Semillon dominated, with 38% Sauvignon Blanc, this is the best release yet of the Faithful Hound white. Given that the former grape comes from the exceptional La Colline vineyard, it’s no surprise that this is so good: toasty, lemongrass and vanilla spice notes with pink grapefruit-like flavours. 2017-22'. – Tim Atkin MW, SA Special Report 2017, 94/100

+ Read More
- Read Less

TA94

Country

ZA

Region

Stellenbosch

Style

White

Wine Cellar offers the greatest wine region in the world en-primeur (as futures). 2015 will be our 15th Bordeaux campaign and will be offered from April 2016 onwards for delivery in 2018.
We update our blog daily with the latest news, videos, tasting reports, recipes and more. It's also a great place to learn about fine wine.
Wine Cellar imports fine wine from Europe, offers antipodean wines, fine local wines as well as brokers your fine wine. We also focus on selling wines en-primeur (as futures) from Bordeaux, Burgundy and the Rhône.
We offer tastings in Johannesburg and Cape Town; from comparative tastings for private and corporate groups to tastings of our latest imports for the public. We also offer luxury dinners paired with rare wines.
Professional cellaring of single bottles for private clients through to pallet loads for trade clients. Wines are stored at 14 degrees in our secure underground cellars in Observatory, Cape Town.
Become a Wine Cellar newsletter subscriber and be the first to hear about our latest deals and discoveries. Newsletters are sent weekly/fortnightly.

Advanced Region Filter

All prices include VAT.