Hamilton Russell Vineyards consistently produce the finest Chardonnay, if not the finest white wine, in South Africa. It is an international benchmark for New World Chardonnay, yet it still holds a classic Burgundian edge and supreme elegance. The latest release, 2014, is one of their finest yet and in global terms offers exceptional value.
Why HRV Chardonnay 2014 is a must-buy
- At one stage SA's most expensive white, its R305 price tag now pales in comparison with other luxury whites. Burgundy of similar quality will cost 3 times the price. And it was Wine-Searcher's second-best value white in the world in 2014.
- South Africa is Chardonnay country. Neal Martin of The Wine Advocate notes: 'If you love Chardonnay...then the Cape is producing some of the most exquisite, mineral-driven you can find.'
- In our opinion, the 2014 is one of their finest releases to date. Christian Eedes of Winemag.co.za tasted it blind at our recent Luxury White Taste-Off and awarded the vintage a whopping 95 points.
- This extremely sought-after wine sells out faster and faster every year.
- It is one of South Africa's longest-ageing white wines. Great vintages like the 2003, 2005, 2009 are maturing with grace and 2014 will easily age a decade.
'Restrained and shy on the nose, it is clearly still very young but the 2014 already appeals with a promise of intricacy and typical Hamilton Russell refinement. This is a fine-boned, thoroughbred of a wine, speaking confidently of its place. Best enjoyed late 2015 - 2022, but will easily last a decade.' – James Pietersen, Wine Cellar. Tasted January 2015.
||R / bottle
|Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay
5% discount on orders of 6 bottles or more
CE: Christian Eedes
Free delivery on orders over R1,500 (main centres only). If you need any assistance, call us on 021 448 4105 (CT) or 011 027 9463 (JHB). View delivery charges.
James and the Wine Cellar team
What the critics say
'South Africa's best Chardonnay - elegant and beautifully poised' – Tim Atkin
'What constitutes an icon prompts constant debate. This wine has to be a reference point.' – Christian Eedes
'Superb, restrained, Burgundian Chardonnay and Pinot Noir that set a standard for the rest of the hemisphere' – Oz Clarke