+27 21 448 4105
Back to previous page
Cabernet Franc

Gabrielskloof, Cabernet Franc 2015

R335

7 in stock

Notes

'So good that I had to buy some myself, this is a stunning varietal Cabernet Franc that used to go into Five Arches but was bottled on its own for the first time in 2015. The quintessence of the variety, with heady scents of violet and graphite, leafy, cut grass notes, silky tannins, fine oak and a finish that lingers on the tongue. 2018-25' – Tim Atkin MW, SA Special Report 2017, 96/100

Winemaker's comments:
'The Landscape Series of wines is an authentic representation of our top vineyards, as well as a few old vine treasures. We wanted the labels to reflect this and decided to commission local artist and friend Niël Jonker to capture the spirit of our Overberg landscapes.The first two wines to be released as part of the series were the Magdalena and Elodie in August 2016, with the Cabernet Franc and the two single vineyard Syrahs released in June 2017.

It became apparent soon after the conclusion of my first vintage that Gabrielskloof is ideally suited to growing Cabernet Franc. The most perfumed and elegant of the five Bordeaux varieties belongs on our slopes and bottling it as a single variety was an easy decision.' – Peter-Allan Finlayson

Tasting notes:
The wine is unmistakably Cabernet Franc, with notes of tobacco leaf, bell pepper and plum leading into an elegant, refined palate with fine tannins and just enough grip to balance the concentrated red fruit.

Vineyard block:
The fruit comes from a single vineyard, mountainside site on the Gabriëlskloof property. The soil is a combination of Overberg Shale and Table Mountain Sandstone, with this complexity transferred into the wine through a lovely mix of fruit and spice.The vineyard is 15 years old, and this maturity shows in the depth and character of the wine.

Production:
The fruit was hand-picked into small crates and transferred directly into our cool room where it remained overnight. 90% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 10% left as whole clusters.The wine was fermented wild and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French oak used.

Analysis:
Alc: 14.38% RS: 1.43g/l pH: 3.42 TA: 5.39g/l
'So good that I had to buy some myself, this is a stunning varietal Cabernet Franc that used to go into Five Arches but was bottled on its own for the first time in 2015. The quintessence of the variety, with heady scents of violet and graphite, leafy, cut grass notes, silky tannins, fine oak and a finish that lingers on the tongue. 2018-25' – Tim Atkin MW, SA Special Report 2017, 96/100

Winemaker's comments:
'The Landscape Series of wines is an authentic representation of our top vineyards, as well as a few old vine treasures. We wanted the labels to reflect this and decided to commission local artist and friend Niël Jonker to capture the spirit of our Overberg landscapes.The first two wines to be released as part of the series were the Magdalena and Elodie in August 2016, with the Cabernet Franc and the two single vineyard Syrahs released in June 2017.

It became apparent soon after the conclusion of my first vintage that Gabrielskloof is ideally suited to growing Cabernet Franc. The most perfumed and elegant of the five Bordeaux varieties belongs on our slopes and bottling it as a single variety was an easy decision.' – Peter-Allan Finlayson

Tasting notes:
The wine is unmistakably Cabernet Franc, with notes of tobacco leaf, bell pepper and plum leading into an elegant, refined palate with fine tannins and just enough grip to balance the concentrated red fruit.

Vineyard block:
The fruit comes from a single vineyard, mountainside site on the Gabriëlskloof property. The soil is a combination of Overberg Shale and Table Mountain Sandstone, with this complexity transferred into the wine through a lovely mix of fruit and spice.The vineyard is 15 years old, and this maturity shows in the depth and character of the wine.

Production:
The fruit was hand-picked into small crates and transferred directly into our cool room where it remained overnight. 90% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 10% left as whole clusters.The wine was fermented wild and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French oak used.

Analysis:
Alc: 14.38% RS: 1.43g/l pH: 3.42 TA: 5.39g/l
+ Read More
- Read Less

TA96

Country

ZA

Region

Botriver

Style

Red

Wine Cellar offers the greatest wine region in the world en-primeur (as futures). 2015 will be our 15th Bordeaux campaign and will be offered from April 2016 onwards for delivery in 2018.
We update our blog daily with the latest news, videos, tasting reports, recipes and more. It's also a great place to learn about fine wine.
Wine Cellar imports fine wine from Europe, offers antipodean wines, fine local wines as well as brokers your fine wine. We also focus on selling wines en-primeur (as futures) from Bordeaux, Burgundy and the Rhône.
We offer tastings in Johannesburg and Cape Town; from comparative tastings for private and corporate groups to tastings of our latest imports for the public. We also offer luxury dinners paired with rare wines.
Professional cellaring of single bottles for private clients through to pallet loads for trade clients. Wines are stored at 14 degrees in our secure underground cellars in Observatory, Cape Town.
Become a Wine Cellar newsletter subscriber and be the first to hear about our latest deals and discoveries. Newsletters are sent weekly/fortnightly.

Advanced Region Filter

All prices include VAT.